Monday, July 4, 2016

'Merica





Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise...”
-Hebrews 13:15a

As I have a day off from work to celebrate the 4th of July I am thinking of many somber things. Many things that I am thankful for. I am also reminded of my many blessings in Christ Jesus for which I am thankful. But there are other people posting, speaking, writing about those things. I'm going to write a lighthearted reminder of what we can be thankful for.

When we are asked what we are thankful for the list inevitably contains the following: freedom, family, faith and an assortment of other items that trickle down from those 3. But there are so many other things that I take for granted which are really great. Here are a few.

1. Air conditioning-anyone remember what it was like before we had AC? I sure don't and I”m glad I don't but I know some people do because it's a recent invention. It's a luxury even now some homes, some cars, and buildings do without. I am very thankful I have use of it.

2. Music on demand-how great is youtube and pandora? You can just put it on play and listen to all sorts of music. Even if you don't have the internet, if you have the right phone or device you can go somewhere in public that has free wi-fi and listen to it on your headphones. Remember the days of cassette tapes, and radio? I certainly do. I remember when the internet was new and not something everybody had. Now, it's everywhere. I love music.

3. Coffee-how great is this drink of the gods? And it's everywhere! I grew up on coffee, drank it every morning for as long as I can remember. I take one cream and 1 sugar but I can drink it black. I drank Folgers growing up but I drink Dunkin' Donuts and Peets now. But I've tried so many varieties because you can have coffee shipped to you from everywhere! All kinds of roasts and they come fresh to your door. How great is that?!


4. Small community-I happen to like small town life. I live in a small town, I grew up in a small town, I went to college in a small town. I don't like the big city life. I traveled for years to a church miles away because there wasn't one around of any worth and that took a toll. I am very grateful that I now work a job just a few miles away, and I also attend a church just a short ride away. I like to be able to get to the store in 5 minutes and find everything, even if that means there won't be a ton of new businesses and development happens slowly. Choices are limited and going out of town is a big deal, I'm ok with it. It's familiar, it's slowed down, it's perfect.  

No comments: