Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Mom's Home...

“I always wondered why God was supposed to be a father," she whispers. Fathers always want you to measure up to something. Mothers are the ones who love you unconditionally, don't you think?” 
― Jodi Picoult

..."Honor one another above yourselves."-Romans 12;10B






My son will often come dashing out of his room into the living room for no apparent reason.  I will look up, his sister will ignore him because that's what she is used to doing, the cat will jump up, and he will look toward the door, which I just shut and say, "oh" in a disappointed tone, "I thought mom was home"

Everything is better when mom is home.

By "mom", I mean my wife and mother of my children, but also the person who makes our home feel like a home.  It might be different in your house, if so that's completely fine, maybe someone else is "mom", maybe you and your 6 iguana's make up your household and you are the 60 year old single father and you, and only you are the "mom", no shame in that.

But I have no iguanas.

But everybody has their centerpiece, we all have that someone who is the lynchpin, the element who makes everything work better.  Their personality, their work ethic, they just make you feel...well, they make you and everyone else in your home feel more like yourself.

The house feels like a home, the family feels more connected, the stress feels a little more manageable and the future a little more bright.  Because, mom is home.

The door opens and the one you love, the one everyone loves, is finally home.

The house breathes a sigh of relief, everyone settles down because you feel in your heart, in your very bones that everything will be taken care of now.  You know questions will be answered, fears will be quelled and love will be returned with the tender compassion of someone who loves you exactly the way you are.

I don't know about you but I thank my God every day that my son, my daughter and especially myself have a home that is so much better, so very much better when mom is home.

No comments: